If you’re like most people these days, you’re probably working hard to go green in every aspect of your life, but when it comes to dumping those used electronics, few people even consider the very real need to look for services specializing in electronics recycling. San Diego has several places that can help, but it’s just not on the radar for most people. Facts like these, though, may help put it at the front of your mind.
- E Waste, or electronic waste, is just 2% of the trash in America’s landfills. That doesn’t sound so bad, does it? The problem is that it equals out to 70% of the overall toxic waste in the country. Electronics all contain massive amounts of lead, and that can leach into our environment from landfills.
- Cell phones (and lots of other electronics) have precious metals inside them, including gold and silver. Every year, Americans dump the equivalent of $60 million worth of gold and silver in their cell phones ALONE into landfills across the country.
- Just 12.5% of the current e-waste being dumped into landfills in San Diego and across the country is currently being recycled, further proof that people just don’t know these services exist!
- Choosing to recycle laptops actually saves energy. Recycling 1 million laptops would save the energy equivalent of the electricity currently used by 3,657 homes in a single year.
- ALL of your electronics are considered hazardous thanks to the materials inside. Televisions, computers, LCD screens, portable DVD players, cell phones, and more could harm the planet, and eventually, your health.
Electronics recycling matters just as much as any other type of recycling on the planet. Have something to recycle? Contact us today for pickup services or use one of our convenient drop-off locations! Pay attention to electronics recycling, San Diego! It’s your planet too.